Yes on Prop 64: Open the California marijuana market

Photo credit: Elijah Hicks

In a state where adults are able to purchase alcohol and tobacco, smoking marijuana in California is presumed a criminal activity, even though we see it and smell it frequently when walking down a street full of green crosses.

Proposition 64 is “the consensus measure based on recognized best practices to control, regulate and tax responsible adult use, sale and cultivation of marijuana in California,” according to Yes on Prop 64’s website.

The measure allows adults over 21 to possess marijuana and grow small amounts at home for personal use, if passed in November. Sale of marijuana will also be legal and highly regulated to protect consumers and kids.

It’s time we get the California marijuana market out in the open and vote yes on Prop 64. We all know its practically legal, but now it will be tracked, controlled, regulated and taxed. The state will no longer be criminalizing responsible adults or incarcerating minors.

Currently in California, non-medical marijuana use is unregulated, untaxed, and occurs without any consumer or environmental protections. Prop 64 establishes the Bureau of Marijuana Control within the Department of Consumer Affairs to regulate and license the marijuana industry.

For marijuana smokers, going to a legal club is a lot safer than purchasing marijuana on the black market. Which can sometimes mean going into shady neighborhoods with gang activity.

Furthermore, the Adult Use of Marijuana Act will tax both the growth and sale of marijuana to generate hundreds of millions of dollars annually to help fund youth programs, environmental protection and law enforcement, according to the Official Voter Information Guide.

Why yes on Prop 64? Partaking in recreational use will not get you thrown into an already over-populated jail. Kids under 18 who get busted will be required to attend treatment and complete community service, according to the guide.

Prop 64 will establish a fully comprehensive system to legalize and regulate the acquisition and sale of non-medical marijuana.

With the Legislative Analyst’s Office (LAO) projecting the annual revenue to eventually reach over $1 billion, California can definitely benefit by using the funds for schools and infrastructure.

Head toward greener pastures, alleviate your stress and vote yes on Prop 64.