Give thanks for what?

Hell breaking loose.

Retailers’ worst nightmare.

Fighting over TVs.

Everyone ruined it.

What do all these phrases have in common? No, it’s not describing the holidays. It’s how Twitter described Black Friday in three words with the hashtag #BlackFridayin3Words.

With the holiday season upon us, it can be very stressful and overwhelming getting ready for this joyous time of the year. From parents’ responsibilities of buying presents to college students cramming for finals, it can be quite a lot to handle.

The holidays traditionally kick off with Thanksgiving, which is followed by Christmas, and New Year’s. But in today’s society, it seems like we just skip Thanksgiving altogether and frankly it’s very sad.

The fact that it’s not even Black Friday anymore and sales start on Thanksgiving night shows how much regard we have for this holiday.

Unfortunately, Thanksgiving doesn’t even have a shot of competing with the other holidays and it’s sad. Instead it’s used as a marketing tactic and a steppingstone for Christmas.

Walking through the Ralph’s grocery store, I hear Christmas music and see decorations up already and it’s not even December yet.

I hear holiday music in the stores and see Christmas lights set up on houses already, which is crazy. In a consumer society that feels obligated to give the best gifts that people are willing to wait in line for and possibly get hurt over material things is completely absurd. Some people skip Thanksgiving dinner just so they can make sure they are first in line for the hottest new gadget or toy of the season.

With that American persona of “Keeping up with the Joneses,” people are willing to become indebted to keep up appearances—which I believe is stupid and selfish to be doing during a time when you’re supposed to be giving and thankful.

Delayed gratification isn’t around anymore like it used to be. People want it now and are willing to pay with credit even if they don’t have the money. Then months later, when that credit card bill comes, they don’t have the cash to pay it and become indebted to credit card companies. According to TIME magazine, credit card usage during these sales go up every year.

For a holiday celebrated for counting our blessings, it’s pretty funny how the advertising agencies and marketing people for corporate America turned it into another day of spending and asking the question: What do I want?

Rather than: What am I thankful for?

Thanksgiving is very meaningful to me and I have always been excited for this holiday when it comes around. Since I was a kid it was a time to spend with family, watch/play football, play poker and eat.

I have no problems with shopping during the sales and saving some money, but I do have a problem cutting into time that is supposed to be designated for being thankful with your family.

It’s tragic to see a once highly celebrated American tradition just turned into a glorified shopping spree—especially for the people working in retail who have to work on Thanksgiving instead of spending time with their family.