Should GPA determine financial aid eligibility? Yes

Every semester, California’s community colleges hand out fee waivers to students who prove their financial need, but the newly passed Student Success Act of 2012 changes that, requiring students to maintain a 2.0 GPA.

Students should be able to maintain, at the very minimum, a 2.0 GPA.

One of the main conversations students continue to have is how expensive everything is becoming, but there hasn’t been anything done about it, at least until now.

There is too much money being wasted on D average students every year who are rewarded for being undedicated.

The results of that great amount of money being abused are higher tuition rates, fewer classes, crowded classrooms and quite a few questions about whether community college students are serious about their education.

Community colleges give the opportunity, especially to low-income students,  to attend school, and while some are taking advantage by working hard, others are dropping classes as soon as the money arrives.

What the Student Success Act will do for colleges all over California is weed out undedicated students before classes start; this will allow dedicated students to get the classes they need for them to meet their goal.

Once colleges stop investing in students who are not performing academically, the money can be used elsewhere.

The funds could be used for campus resources. For example, the Writing Center.

In past semesters, the Writing Center allowed students to print all their English related papers, but since last spring, those privileges have been eliminated.

It’s true that there are plenty of students who are not academically nor mentally prepared to attend college, but more campus workshops could send students up a better path.

The Spanish words el camino mean “the road” in English, but it should be the way to success, not the way to academic probation.

The new law even gives students a second chance by placing them on academic probation for the first time they drop below a 2.0 GPA.

One chance should be enough.