Choose for passion, not vanity

I am an international student and have been at EC for a year.
I used to be a business major, not because I loved it, but because my parents wanted me to. I listened to my parents since I had no plans for my future at that time. I even tried to learn mathematics, economics and several sciences, which I worked really hard in. I spent much more time on these subjects than other students and pushed myself to study even though I didn’t want to.
During that process, I felt so depressed and lost my passion and confidence. I struggled for a long time to consider giving up or continuing my major. I even asked some of my professors for their opinions. Then I found that learning English, or any language, was much easier than learning math or chemistry.
Finally, I changed my major from business to communications and luckily my parents understood.
There are many differences between the Western and Eastern educational systems and the most important reason is cultural differences. I don’t think I’m the only one who listens to parents’ aspirations. Most Chinese students in the United States choose business, engineering, medicine, law, or any other majors that will make them a lot of money in the future. Here is a question: How many of those students really like their major?
Some choose for their passion and some choose only for their vanity.
Let us make an assumption. If you choose finance, which you are not interested in, then find a job in a bank after graduating.Can you imagine doing this job for the next 10 years? How about doing that for the rest of your life?
Personally, I cannot imagine that. It is horrible and it would kill me.
A job does not mean your career and vanity does not equal happiness. We know careful consideration of the future is important but we also have to know that choosing your favorite major is also very essential.
The future is not behind you; it is under your feet. According to a Chinese saying, “Tomorrow after tomorrow, and tomorrow will never end.”
Do not waste your time doing something that you do not want to do. Listen to your heart, then follow it.