Editorials

EC unfairly collected fees from students

Students should have been notified when they paid for their classes that they would be charged more money in the futgure.

Letters have been sent out informing students they must pay the $7 per unit they owe — or there will be no transcripts for them and they will also be blocked from receiving grades.

The problem is that not all the students havereceived their letters yet. These students think that they’ve paid. The college has to do a better job notifying students of what is going on.

These letters were sent out at the end of October. They should have been sent out immediately, before the final deadline to drop and receive money.

With the transfer deadline for UC and Cal State universities Nov. 31, it is ludicrous that students will be denied their transcripts.

Students wouldn’t have taken as many classes if they knew they would be paying so much. Many students have already dropped classes after finding them too difficult.

Now, instead of losing $11 a unit, it’s $18. By the time students learned about the increase, it was $7 more for classes not taken.

Hardships should not be placed on students for their lack of communication. Transcripts and grades should not be withheld from students. Students should be allowed to pay the tuition fees when they pay for their spring semester classes.

It’s just a cop-out to decide to drop out

Students should take responsibility for their decisions. Once we decide on the classes and sections we need to fulfill educational requirements, we should complete them.

It’s one thing to drop in the first few weeks. But dropping 3/4 of the way through the semester and taking a W is not productive.

Dropping a class because an instructor has an accent or mumbles should be done in the first week, not when the semester is almost complete.

Sometimes withdrawing is necessary.

Lightning hit one student and he was badly burned — his hospital stay was longer than his time in class.

Another student was in an accident and in a coma for six weeks. Now he has amnesia and doesn’t even know he was enrolled in a class.

These are really the only good reasons students should drop a class.

If a student misses a couple of assignments, and suddenly worries he won’t pass, it’s a cop-out to drop the class.

Instead of dropping, one must try to succeed. It is tempting to have that option to withdraw, but students should not take advantage of it.

Be strong enough to rise up and complete the goals you set when you made the decision to take the course. Attend it until the end.