Editorials

Where have all the ATM units gone?

At Issue: Wells Fargo users can use the new ATM machines, but money will be deducted from their bank account.

Sayonara, Wells Fargo ATM machine; it was nice using you. Last July, El Camino College decided to replace the Wells Fargo ATM with two El Camino College Federal Credit Union machines. The fee for non-members to make a transaction will now cost $1 compared to the Wells Fargo transaction fee of $2.

In addition, any students who are members of any credit union that makes a transaction will not be charged with a fee.

The $1 transaction fee is way more reasonable compared to the $2 Wells Fargo charged. Also, by adding two machines instead of one makes it easier for students to obtain cash. If EC decides to put another machine on campus where it is open 24 hours a day, it would make it easier for the student that have classes late at night or over the weekend.

One option would be the Campus Police Department, which is always open.

As for the Wells Fargo members, you will now pay the fee like the rest of us had to pay during the past 10 years it was on campus. One good thing about the change is that everybody can pretty much afford a dollar now and then. And a credit union can be a good thing for college students by acting as a bank and a savings source for hard-earned money.

Free things for staff and students

At Issue: People should not be skeptical about free services EC provides.

Students need to open their eyes, look around and push aside their skepticism and see the world of free services available here at EC. People have heard of the Health Center but how many of them know about the free chlamydia testing and $10 flu shots?

Some may know about the automotive technology department but most don’t know they could get their engine overhauled for a fraction of the cost. People walk through the Industry and Technology Building but have no idea about the haircuts they can get for less than $5. Most students at EC go to their classes, maybe spend some time at the library and go home. With a limited budget, students always look for alternative routes to save some money. EC offers a variety of services that many are not aware of and should take advantage of.

What people don’t realize is that while these students are novices, the opportunity is one they look forward to. Instructors aren’t going to let complete amateurs destroy a business earning the college some money. These students are paying for services and have access to tools that some car body shop at South Figueroa could never afford. The service charge reflects how much the owner had to spend and includes rent and utilities; EC wants students to use the facilities to give their students experience. EC offers a wide range of services and students should use them. Just because the services are relatively inexpensive doesn’t necessarily mean that the services aren’t well done. Students need to be more open minded and look around, one might be surprised