Letter to the Editor

It is my opinion that smoking, obesity and diseases like emphysema, cystic fibrosis, tuberculosis and lung cancer etc., can damage your lungs, which can affect your breathing, thereby putting your life at risk.

October 19-25, 2003 is National Respiratory Care Week at El Camino College and on Wednesday, the 22nd of October will be National Lung Day. The senior respiratory care students will be conducting pulmonary function tests (lung tests) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in 5A MCS.

We are inviting all El Camino students, faculty and staff to support us and help yourselves by coming out to get free lung tests that can cost you hundreds of dollars if you were to have them done at a major facility. These tests will identify any potential problems or diseases.

For further information regarding National Respiratory Care Week and National Lung Day, please contact The Respiratory Care Program Director, Dr. Sinopoli or the Respiratory Care Clinical Director, Professor Mekaru at (310) 660-3545

Joe West Jr.

Formal Newspaper Policy

A. The newspaper will address national, state, local and campus issues that affect El Camino College students, The El Camino Community College District communities and higher education in general.

B. The staff is assured the right to comment editorially upon action(s) of the administration, the board of trustees, the faculty, or student government on any issue(s).

C. Books, films, plays and other entertainment determined by the staff to be of interest to the El Camino College students will be reviewed and published.

D. Current, relevant on-campus news will be given priority in news space.

E. Letters to the editor reflecting broad student opinion may be published, as well as those of other campus or off-campus constituencies when appropriate.

F. The newspaper will cover both points of view on controversial matters considered to be of major importance.

G. The newspaper staff recognizes the liability undertaken in its behalf by the board of trustees, and remains committed to function responsibly.

H. The faculty advisers will supervise the newspaper’s production and encourage professional journalistic and ethical standards.

I. The staff of the El Camino College student newspaper will comply with applicable state and federal statutes and the policies of the El Camino Community College District Board of Trustees.

J. Letters to the editor must be signed and received one week before publication in the union office, Communications Room 109. Letters are subject to editing for space, libel, obscenity and disruption of the educational process.