Newsline, May 7 – May 30

Event celebrates “Chicano Culture”

The last event in the Celebration of Chicano Culture series is a lecture about “The Chicano Movement Through Films of Jesús Salvador Treviño” which takes place on May 7 at 11:15 a.m. in the Distance Education Room 166. The lecture will be presented by Jesús Salvador Treviño himself. As with all these events, they are free and open to the public. However, a $3 parking permit must be purchased in order to park on campus. For more information, visit the behavioral and social sciences division on campus as they sponsor the event.

Models will strut in upcoming fashion show

The Fashion Department is hosting their 33rd annual fashion show on May 8 at 7:30 p.m. in Marsee Auditorium. Presale tickets cost $10, senior citizens/military members, high school students and children 12-and-under pay $7 per ticket while tickets at the door are $12. For more information on the event, contact Vera B. Ashley by email at [email protected] or by phone at (310) 660-3593 ext. 3346.

Fees due for next semester

The Board of Governors fee waiver application for the spring semester is due on May 15. For more information on how to submit this form, or for any questions regarding financial aid, visit the financial aid office or call them at (310) 660-3493. The last day the office is open for the spring semester is May 16.

Reception organized for graduates

The EC Graduate and Family Reception will take place on May 15 at 1 p.m. on the Library Lawn. Here the graduates, family and friends, staff and faculty members can enjoy free refreshments and entertainment before the actual ceremony starts. All students graduating are asked to come in their cap and gown and there will be a photo taken there.

Graduation takes place for students

The EC Spring Commencement Ceremony is May 15 at 4 p.m. which is located on the softball field. Seating for the ceremony is on a first-come, first-served basis and no tickets are necessary to enter. For the event, there is free parking in Lot F or H. However, it is asked that no one parks in the visitor parking spots. The commencement ceremony is expected to last approximately two hours.