Former EC student to appear on ‘The Bachelorette’

Hunter Jones with his surfboard, at El Porto in Manhattan Beach. Jones, now a former El Camino College student, is set to appear in the latest season of “The Bachelorette.” Photo credit: Jo Rankin

Former El Camino College student and professional surfer Hunter Jones will be a participant on the latest season of ‘The Bachelorette’ which is set to premiere on Monday, May 13.

Jones, who grew up in Westchester, California, was a film major during his time at EC with a passion for surfing.

In the spring of 2016, Jones was the focus of one of the stories in EC’s Warrior Life (WL) magazine and was also featured on the front cover.

“He was just a South Bay guy who loved surfing, former Warrior Life Editor-in-Chief Sydnie Mills, who wrote the story about Hunter, said. “[He] was really content on working hard.”

Jones caught his first wave after his best friend’s dad taught him how to surf, according to the WL article.

“Surfing is a selfish sport. It’s all about you, it’s the most selfish sport in the world,” Jones told WL magazine in Spring 2016.

But on Monday, Jones will be vying for the heart of bachelorette Hannah Brown, competing with 29 other men.

Brown who is from Tuscaloosa, Alabama is an interior decorator and was previously on the 23rd season of ‘The Bachelor’, according to Brown’s bio on The Bachelorette website.

The Union reached out to press representatives from ‘The Bachelorette’ but they said that the participants could not comment “until if and when they were eliminated,” Senior Publicity Director Cathy Rehl said.

The Union also reached out to Jones via Instagram but he said that he could not speak with The Union until after the premiere.

“Hunter’s life revolves around the ocean. If the waves allow it, he’ll be in the water every day,” according to Jones’ bio on The Bachelorette website.

While at EC, Jones took Journalism 1 Writing and Reporting with professor Kate McLaughlin.

McLaughlin said that Jones was a great student and was well-liked by his fellow classmates.

“He was a standout, he had a great attitude, he was eager to learn…and his classmates liked him too,” McLaughlin said.

Jones previously worked as the social media coordinator for the World Surf League from March 2016 to March 2018, according to his LinkedIn profile.

McLaughlin also said that she thought ‘The Bachelorette’ would be a fun adventure for Jones.

“I thought it was a perfect, it’s a perfect venue for him,” McLaughlin said. “And if the Bachelorette knows what’s good for her she’ll pick him straight away.”

Updated Wednesday, May 8, at 12:38 p.m.: Added content.