ASO elections end tonight at 6 p.m.

On the final day of ASO elections, ASO presidential candidate Joseph Mardesich could be seen standing several yards away from the voting booths with a bag full of Dum-Dums lollipops and a handful of business cards brandishing the word “VOTE” in a bold print.

The three-day election ends today, May 9, at 2 p.m. on the Library Lawn and will officially conclude in the Student Activities Center from 4-6 p.m. As of 10:20 a.m. 288 students had voted in the election. According to El Camino College’s Demographic Profiles, in fall 2017 there were 24,349 students enrolled.

Mardesich, 19, business major, said he had been outside campaigning during the three-day voting period for “five to six hours” each day attempting to convince students to vote for him as ASO president. In The Union article “ASO elections underway on Library Lawn” Mardesich said his campaign was aimed toward improving student life.

image_6483441.JPG
If elected, ASO presidential candidate Joseph Mardesich wants to provide students with therapy dogs on campus every month. Photo credit: Faith Petrie

“I’ve been in ASO since last semester. Ever since I was young, I felt I was a leader in helping people and politics,” Mardesich said.

He also added he wanted to make the campus “attractive” so that students feel more welcome and content with remaining on campus between or after their classes.

“I have a passion to help students. I want students to feel comfortable here and not just take classes,” Mardesich said.

ASO President Tiffany Ushijima, 21, business administration major, said students should vote because it “gives (students) the ability for (their) voice to be heard.”

Ushijima added that the ASO elections gives students the opportunity to “see the faces” of those who are a part of their student government.

Juliet Ikemefuna, clerical assistant for student development, added that students should see the candidates making “important fiscal and policy” decisions for the student body.

Additional reporting done by Darren Demorst.