El Camino to participate in state-wide earthquake drill

El Camino will host the annual California earthquake drill on Thursday, Oct. 20 at 10:20 a.m., the president of the Academic Senate said.

The mandatory statewide activity, also named “The Great California ShakeOut,” requires the drill to take place in order to get ready for an earthquake.

“The main goal of the ShakeOut is to get Californians prepared for major earthquakes, so we use the ShakeOut as an opportunity to learn what to do before, during, and after an earthquake,” according to the “ShakeOut” website.

According to the Los Angeles Times, California is “long overdue for a major quake” because of the San Andreas fault, which is supposed to rupture every 150 to 200 years–it’s been an estimated more than 330 years.

El Camino will also have an emergency preparedness drill on Nov. 9 at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. to prepare the college for emergency situations and even require to reenact a lock down.

“It is an emergency preparedness drill like what we would use with an active shooter, of course there won’t be an actual shooter,” Academic Senate president Kristie Daniel Di-Gregorio said.

Although it might conflict with scheduled class activities, there will be no evacuation, but there will be a lock down and teachers will have to lock themselves inside of their classrooms along with their students. Teachers will also have trained for situations where the lock is on the outside of the door.