El Camino student is robbed at gunpoint

An El Camino student was robbed at gunpoint at approx. 9 p.m. last night at Manhattan Beach Boulevard and Lemoli Avenue, according to the El Camino campus advisory.

The victim was walking to his car when a suspect described as a black male between the age of 28 to 30, approached the student and robbed him of his backpack and personal belongings with a gun.

“We are investigating this crime,” El Camino police chief Michael Trevis said.

This is the third armed robbery report this semester, the other two happened in broad daylight within an hour of each other and all three have happened on the same block of Manhattan Beach Boulevard and Lemoli Avenue.

Both of the other incidents were handled by the Sheriff’s Department, and the suspect of those cases has been arrested.

Trevis added that there will be another campus advisory sent out with more information, as of now there is no news if both incidents are related.

According to the Annual Crime Report, El Camino has had five total robberies reported between 2013 and 2015, just this semester there has been three.

More information to come.

For your safety:

• If you see something, say something. By working together we all contribute to the safety of our college campus.
  • In an emergency, contact Campus Police by calling 911 from a landline phone; 310-660-3100 from a cell phone; or use a campus “Code Blue” emergency phone.
  • Have keys in hand before walking to your car.
  • Always be aware of your surroundings – remember the use of listening devices and cell phones may significantly distract you. Don’t walk alone; use the buddy system.
  • Use ECC Courtesy Shuttle operated by ECC Police from 6:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.; on-call 24 hours. Use one of the POLICE phones located throughout campus, or call campus police 310-660-3100 for this service.
  • Night students and faculty are encouraged to park in the same general area as other faculty or students with night classes in their building; this provides the opportunity for a group of students and faculty to walk together to their cars after dark.
  • Immediately report any suspicious activity to campus police.