EC Welcomes Special Resource Director Gary Greco

Director of Special Resource Center, Gary Greco.

Q: How was the hiring process?

A: “The hiring process was pretty standard like in any other institution.”

Q: I heard that you are from Connecticut, if so, what brings you to California?

A: “Yes I am (from Connecticut). What brought me here was the position. There were many other institutions hiring for similar positions, but what stood out particularly about the position here was the academic component as well as the support services. Most of the other positions just had the support services and didn’t really have the academic portion of the job, and that is something I am very familiar with.”

Q: Are there any plans so far to make the SRC better?

A: “I’m still looking and observing and learning all aspects and positions that are here. It’s still a little too early to say anything as what I would do to make the SRC better. Although I must say I am excited about the future of SRC because we have a great group of people which makes me happy. I’m expecting good things for the future of the SRC.”

Q: Is there anything in particular that you would like students to know?

A: “I’m very excited to be here and I look forward to teaming up with the new president. I haven’t met her yet, but I can’t wait to work with her. I am loving my job so far. Although I must say I’m kind of sad to see President Tom Fallo leave; I wish I could have gotten to know him a little bit better. My family will be joining me over the summer so that is pretty exciting.They will be visiting occasionally throughout the semester. As soon as my family moves out here, my son will be attending El Camino.”

Q: Tell me about your family?

A: “I am a child of deaf parents and my wife is deaf. I also have two children, one of which is hearing and the other is deaf and like I said I bring a lot of experience to the table. I worked for 14 years as a special rehabilitation counselor. I would like for students to know that if they would like to come in for any of the services we offer, my door is always open.”