Musical talents gather to capture audience

Update: March 23, 10:10 p.m. “Theatre” has replaced “theater” in several instances.

El Camino’s Campus Theatre will be filled with the sounds of opera, pop, musical theatre, jazz, rock and more as the Society of Music prepares to host this year’s Spring Student Recital.

The Society of Music Spring Recital will be hosted by the club this Friday, March 27, at 7 p.m. The President of the Society of Music, Ivan Alcantar, 22, said that the recital will include a wide variety of music with hopes to capture the biggest audience possible.

“We (the club) pride ourselves in trying to have as much variety as possible,” he said. “We don’t just stick to one thing.”

While demonstrating the genres of music students are commonly taught at EC — classical, opera, theater and jazz — the recital will also showcase contemporary music from genres like rock and pop, he said.

The final act will be performed by Esai Saucedo, an EC alumni, and his band The Full Suns, Alcantar said, which will perform a set list of contemporary music.

Tyler Johnson, 21, music major, will be performing “Well You Needn’t” by jazz pianist Thelonious Monk.

Johnson said that he looks forward to playing with his jazz combo the Tyler Johnson Group, which includes Jon Aparicio, guitarist; Gavin Kellems, bassist; Srimal De Mel, pianist; and Walter Jones, drummer.

“Overall I’m really looking forward to making music with my friends on stage,” Johnson said. “Any day that I get play the music I love, jazz, for others is a great day to me.”

“We’re all really passionate about our music, and when we’re all on stage together it’s just such an awesome feeling,” he added.

Gabriella Chea, 20, music major, is also looking forward to putting on a great show, this is her last Student Recital, and will be performing “My Love” by Grammy-nominee Sia.

“I want to have fun and I want the audience to enjoy the recital,” Chea said. “It’s going to be a great one, and I want everyone who attends to see the hard work (the club) put into this.”

The Society of Music Spring Recital will start at 7 p.m. this Friday, March 27. Tickets will be on sale for $10, and all proceeds will go to the club in order to fund future events and help support the music department.