Murdock Stadium is a work in progress

Since its demolition in December 2013, construction crews have been at work renovating Murdock Stadium, which was originally constructed in 1949.

While the stadium is under construction, the football team will be playing their home games at Redondo Union High School.

“This will be one of the top, if not the top, football stadiums in the California Community College Athletic Association,” Athletic Director Randy Totorp said.

To those passing by every day, it appears that little, if any, progress is being made. However, Tom Brown, Facilities director, said the large mounds of dirt have a purpose.

The new stadium will have a field house incorporated into the base of the home team’s stands. To do this, it was necessary to remove dirt to pour the concrete footings for the new building.

In addition to removing dirt to make room for the footings, the dirt that was under the entire stadium had to be excavated in order to recompact it before the new construction begins.

Construction of the footings for the home side’s stands has begun. In the last several weeks, crews have been working on forming and pouring approximately 850 cubic yards of concrete.

Although construction seems slow, Brown said that this is not actually the case. In fact, the project is scheduled to be completed on time and within budget.

“We are on schedule,” Brown said. “(The stadium) will be completed in December of next year.”

Brown isn’t the only person that is enthusiastic about the new stadium.

“We are very satisfied. It looks like it’s going to be a wonderful new stadium,” John Featherstone, football coach, said. “We are looking forward to, hopefully, playing there in the season of 2016.”

The new stadium is set to include seating for home and away teams, a field house which will contain lockers for players, offices for the coaches and staff, a conference room, a training room, and, above the stands, there will be a press box.

Unlike the original stadium, the new playing surface will be comprised of artificial turf.

The renovated Murdock Stadium will bear some resemblance to Veterans Stadium where division rival Long Beach City College Vikings play their home games. Murdock Stadium will be state-of-the-art when construction is completed in the winter of 2015.

The stadium, which gained renovation funding from Bond Measure E, is set to cost a total of $45 million.