Adding classes continues to be challenging for students

Most students have been there.

Walking with a schedule in hand, one hurries to find a class to slip into. Anxiously leaning against the wall, they secretly hope that there are no shows as they plot for one of the limited spots and cross their fingers that they receive that golden ticket that will add them to the course.

That is the usual routine for the first week of the semester.

“It is hard to try and add classes the first day. Either the professor rejects you or has you waste your time by sitting through a class they can’t add you to. It is stressful,” Janea Smith, kinesiology major, said.

The reason is because professors can only allow up to as many students per class as their department mandates.

“If the student is there and they have the space and the student recognizes that it’s an appropriate class for them, then fine.” Emily Rader, history professor, said.

Ralph Taylor, mathematics professor said that he uses number games or lotto picks to help him select which students to add.

Many students have a hard time adding a class due to late registration dates as they may not have priority.

Students like Melissa Shearer, 19, political science major, described her experience attempting to add classes as “horrible.”

“I couldn’t even get into my English 1A class and I finished last semester with a 4.0 GPA and had taken English A,” Shearer said. “I don’t know if it was the system or what, but it was inconvenient. Hopefully next time is less stressful. But besides that, everything is going smooth.”