Changes to registration cycle will be implemented soon

With the start of registration for summer and fall classes this week, students should be aware of changes that can affect them when planning their schedules.

There will be a change in the ‘Drop with No Notation Date’ as well as a change in ‘Repeats and Withdrawals.’

Up until this spring semester, students were allowed to drop with no “W’ on their transcript through 30 percent of a course.

Bill Mulrooney, director of admissions and records, said the Community College Chancellor’s Office has disallowed district’s from collecting money on any student who withdraws without notation beyond the 20 percent point of a course.

That means that the last day for students to drop without a grade or a “W” on their records will be the same day to add any class.

“Students will have only until the end of the second week to decide if they want to keep the class or not,” Mulroonery said.

Beginning this summer, students will be restricted to a maximun of three enrollments in a non-repeatable course and this comes from a change in Title V by the board of governors.

This means that once students enroll in the same class, whether they pass, fail or withdraw, they will have to take the same course at a different district as it will not be permitted at EC.

“Students are repeating and repeating and not being successful,” Mulrooney, said. “Students can’t drop the ball and they have to be able to successfully complete a class.”

Mulrooney added that there are numerous options available on campus to serve and help students who are having a difficult time passing classes.

“There is tutoring available for students, we have counselors who can prevent them  from going the wrong way,” Mulrooney said. “If students have questions they need to consult with their counselors.”

Mulrooney said it is too early to tell.

“At this I withhold opinion and see what happens,” he said. “Next year the repeatability courses can change. Sacramento is going to be changing how we enroll  students; they are actually rewrititing  enrollment priorities then they are going to tell us this is what we want you to do.”

Students on campus don’t seem to pleased with these new regulations.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea because many people try a class their first week and they are still trying to figure out what the class is going to be studying,” Elyany De Leon, 21, international relations major, said.

Another student said it will have a negative effect on students.

“I think it’s probably going to hurt people more than anything,” Christina Hunter, 20, veterinary major, said. “It’s cutting off people’s opportunities to try harder. If people are willing to try again why tell them they can’t?”

But other students think the changes to the registration cycle will benefit students.

“I think it’s going to help students, since you’re required to take classes to transfer, you’re just going to have to study harder the first time around,” Bilune Hammang, 28, accounting major, said.

These changes are hear to stay.

“Sometimes we don’t like regulations, but we don’t have a choice, it’s a law,” Mulrooney said.