Journalism students shine

Winning 20 awards at the biannual journalism conference, the journalism department has not won that many awards dating to the last three years.

There was a two-day Journalism Association of Community Colleges (JACC) conference at Cal State University of Fullerton.

Some of the awards included a General Excellence Award for the campus newspaper and a General Excellence Award for the Warrior Life magazine.
There were about 30 different colleges in attendance with more than 350 students competing in various competitions.

Lori Medigovich, journalism professor, said that although she had a small staff attending compared to previous semesters, she knows that her students are passionate about what they do.

“It’s really nice to see people working hard and to see them get honored for it,” Medigovich said.

Among the students who attended was Samantha Troisi, Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Union Online, who competed and placed second in both the features writing and the broadcast writing competitions.

“I just did what my advisers told me to do and write a good descriptive lead,” Troisi said.

Viridiana Vaca-Rios, Editor-in-Chief of the Union, said that attending JACC gives her a chance to attend workshops and take advantage of the opportunities that the conference had to offer.

“It’s a great place to network and also look at the different things that college newspapers do,” Vaca-Rios said. “It’s a lot of fun.”
As to what Medigovich hopes her students learn from their experiences at JACC, she said that she hopes they get excited about journalism.

“I am very lucky to be their adviser,” Medigovich said. “

I hope they realize that they are some of the best students in Southern California,” she added.