Recall: justified or not?

Editor’s note: This is the last story this semester that will focus on the recall election and how it’s affecting students and our campus.

Throughout this semester, one of the main discussions and topics of debate has been the recall.

Being a topic of debate, it has also been a topic of apathy, with many students uninformed and many who just do not care.

“I’ve heard and read some things concerning the recall but to be completely honest, I’m lost,” said Tracy Taner, undecided major. “All I know is that Arnold is our governor now, that’s basically it.”

In the California State Constitution in 1911, the first recall provision stated that the official ballot in a recall election shall have printed the reasons set forth in the petition for demanding his recall and justification for his course in office, so that voters could make an informed decision.

“I just got a statement of reasons for recall with my sample ballot. But there wasn’t an explanation for whether or not he (Gov. Gray Davis) should or shouldn’t be (recalled),” Taner said.

Some people say that the recall was justified due to high taxes, the energy crisis, and the state of California’s economy.

“I would say that the recall was justified in the sense that people were so dissatisfied with Gov. Davis’ performance that they went through the proper procedures to engage in a recall,” said political science professor Laurie Houske.

Some political science students say that the recall was based on a popularity contest.

“So many people were not informed and educated properly,” said political science major Jasmine Paraloo. ” Many voters picked the person whose face they knew the best, not who they knew would do a great job or who had the most experience.”

Although Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is armed with a strong advisory board , many are wondering what the future holds for the state of California and its citizens.

Houske said one thing people might see from Schwarzeneggar is a lot of attention on education, especially because he has four children in the educational system and this can definetly help the schools.