Three seats open on board of trustees

Three EC board of trustees seats are open for election Tuesday, including that of Delmer L. Fox, who passed away last month at the age of 81.

Voters will be faced with a unique choice in having the opportunity to vote for a longtime candidate who is recently deceased.

“If Mr. Fox gets the most votes, then the EC board has the option of either appointing someone else to fill the term, or it can conduct a special election for the seat,” said Ann Garten, director of public information and marketing.

Fox represented the Centinela Valley School District area.

“If he wins and the board decides to appoint someone else, that person would hold office until the next regularly scheduled election in two years,” Garten said.

In Area No. 1, Board Chairman Dr. Nathaniel Jackson is running unopposed.

In Area No. 2, Fox, who was on the board for 34 years, is running against Mary E. Combs, a businesswoman and educator.

In Area No. 3, incumbent William Beverly is running against Greg Johnson, a community services director.

Combs’ statement says, “As a businesswoman and former employee of EC, I know firsthand the importance of our community college. I will be an active and involved trustee by listening to students talk about their educational and career needs.

“My business experience will help me direct wise financial decisions by the college and my academic experience will assist me in ensuring that the college serves those needing academic instruction as well as career and technical training.”

Board member Lila Hummel, who has been a trustee since 1973, said she hopes Fox wins.

“I really feel it would be a wonderful thing if people paid tribute to him by re-electing him,” Hummel said. “I hope people put him into office to show respect for what he did for the district for 34 years.

“His family would be very honored if the voters put him into office. If that’s what the people want, they will vote him in. He was so well-known and people love that man.”

Hummel said if Fox did win, the board members would first talk to each other about what they should do, then seek recommendations from the community.

“I can’t honestly say how I feel about it at this time,” Hummel said. “I don’t know if it would be financially right to hold another election, or appoint someone harmonious to the board to represent the Centinela Valley District.”

“We could ask for recommendations from the people who live there, and find someone who would be a real representative from that group,” Hummel added.

Hummel said Fox appeared in good health recently, even though he had a setback several months ago.

“He was looking better,” she said. “He was still sharp and asked good questions.”

Hummel also said Fox’s work as a mortician might have accounted for his desire to be of service to the community.

“His profession made him sensitive to people’s feelings. He chose the mortuary profession because he was such a kind and wonderful man. He had a charming twinkle and was thoughtful and considerate to people. He was used to dealing with tragedy in people’s lives. In a time of sorrow, he was such a bulwark of strength.”

Fox’s commitment to the board reflected the dedication that the entire community college district has for EC, Hummel said.

“This is a very harmonious board and we work well together,” Hummel said. “We argue like the dickens, because we say how we feel about things, but it’s all in the spirit of helping the college.”

Hummel said she has been to other districts and EC seems to have more dedication than others.

“Our instructors are really dedicated to the students. Our administration is dedicated to the students coming first and the faculty a very close second.”

Hummel said the residents of the district have faith in the board and its commitment to the college.

“At EC, we have pride in this campus.”