Fires Still Blazing

As of yesterday, the raging Southern California wildfires have taken the lives of 18 people, including one firefighter.

Firefighters have been working day and night to contain the wildfire inferno. Most have gone without food or sleep for up to 72 hours, local radio stations reported.

“The firefighters’ efforts show that they’ve been trying their best and their heroic acts are appreciated,” BeBe Le, undecided major said. “But they can only do so much to control it.”

More than 12,600 firefighters are battling the fires and three firefighters have suffered major burn injuries; one was reported in critical condition, KNX-AM 1070 reported.

The devastating blaze has destroyed 620,000 acres of land and more than 1,800 homes.

“It’s sad to see these people’s homes burn down and have to watch them stay in football stadiums because of it,” Le said. “I’m actually worried about the families and people and how they will recover.”

Firefighters are hoping that the erratic fierce winds will soon calm down so they can contain the flames.

The weather is a determining factor in how long these wildfires will continue, local news and radio stations reported.

Ash reached cities all the way to the ocean and residents have reported cars being covered with thick layers.

News radio has reported that people are advised to stay in their homes as much as possible and refrain from exercise, especially seniors, children, and pregnant women.

“All of the fumes that are produced by the fires are hazardous to our health; it’s like smoking a cigarette,” Tabitha Hwana, biology major said. “Our smog is bad enough and this just worsens it by polluting the air in nearby cities.”

KNX reported that Gov. Gray Davis estimates more than $2 billion in destruction since the fires began last week and that the Southern California area has been declared a disaster area.