Handling campus issues with student government vice president

Vice President of the Associated Student Organization Stephanie Pedrahita poses before the Oct. 28 meeting. Pedrahita was voted in as vice president at the end of the spring 2015 semester. Photo credit: Jorge Villa

There’s a big role to play once voted as the vice president of the student body organization.

The vice president of the Associated Student Organization of El Camino is a tough job, Stephanie Pedrahita, 19, psychology, said.

Along with the position as vice president, she also assumes the role as President of the Student Senate, and the job she does generally has to do with helping other people.

One of the main goals of the ASO, Pedrahita said, is to bring awareness itself to students, because the decisions the ASO makes has a broad effect.

“There has to be a connection between ASO and the students,” Pedrahita said. “(The) voice of students needs to be heard.”

Pedrahita added that student-participation in other college programs and “connection” needs to be encouraged because the communal experience of college can be lost with all the stress and panic to finish classes.