New club connects students through gaming

Students play board games at the first meeting of the El Camino College Table Top Gaming Club on Sept 24. The ECCTTG meets every Thursday in the Humanities Building Room 216 at 1 to 2 p.m. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

The classroom was full of students talking; some of them were well-focused, thinking about the next move; while other students had five cards in their hands waiting for their turn.

“Hey guys, welcome to our first the Tabletop Gaming Club meeting,” Adrian Padua, president of the club said.

Around 60 students plus attended to the meeting where some of them played, “The Walking Dead” board game, chess, Pandemic, and Empire.

The meeting was hosted in the Humanities Building, Room 216 at 1 p.m., and students had the opportunity to experience some table games and play something new.

“It was fun,” Oscar Castillo, 24, accounting major, said. “There was a lot of variety of games and people, definitely a relaxing place for students.”

Therefore, Padua felt that his goal was met because the club had a variety of people.

“Everything started with an idea,” Padua said. “I want to see people from different backgrounds in the school. We have such a diverse population in the school and I just want something that can bring people together, like a common interest in a way that everyone can get behind.”

However, Padua said that when he was searching for an adviser for the club he wanted to find someone that has “the personality and the image” for this club.

In addition to that, Padua found two advisers, Kevin Degnan and Christopher Page, both are English instructors.

Degnan said that one of his former English 1C class students and friend of Padua recommended him as possible adviser, and Degnan presented Padua to Page.

Padua said that to became an EC official club he has to fill up some papers.

Also for more information about the club like them on Facebook ECC Tabletop Gaming, Padua said. Club members are allowed to bring their own table games to the meetings.

Padua said that they will look for a bigger room for meetings and he wants to get a Friday session going every other week in the Student Activities Center.

Both professors invited students to join the Tabletop Gaming Club and have fun.

“Gaming is fun, you should come and play,” Degnan said.

Page had some advice and thoughts on students joining the club.

“Research shows that students who join a club get higher GPA than students that don’t,” Page said. “Join one you are going to play games at.”