Jump in; the water’s fine

It is safe to go into the ocean.

A couple of weeks ago, the Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Boards sent a stern warning to many South Bay cities that if their beaches weren’t up to par, the cities would have to pay a fine of $10,000 a day.

“I think this is a step in the right direction,” Joseph Holliday, oceanography professor, said.

“The threat of a fine is what makes people cooperate; the government doesn’t really need the money but they want to prove a point,” he said.

Beachgoers, though, shouldn’t be afraid to go into the water, as for the most part beaches are safe to swim in.

“The water is actually cleaner than it was in the ’70s and ’80s,” Arthur Verge, history professor and longtime lifeguard, said.

In the winter months, however, beachgoers should be more careful.

Bacteria levels tend to be high during the winter months because storms are much more frequent.

Right after a heavy rain, runoff goes into the ocean because treatment centers are just overburdened with work; they can’t stop all the trash, oil and waste from going into the ocean.

“All that trash just doesn’t go away; it goes into the drainage ditch and then it all goes to the ocean,” Holliday said.

That’s why most experts would agree to wait at least 48 hours to go into the ocean right after a storm.

“It’s dangerous to go in after a storm,” Charles Herzig, oceanography professor, said.

“You are exposed to all these dangerous element. You could get intestinal problems or even hepatitis,” he said.

“I have had some students who are surfers who say that they go in anyway,” he said.

Also, how clean a beach is can all depend on what time of year it is.

“Beaches are cleaner in the summer because generally there aren’t any storms,” Herzig said.

There are other helpful tips for those who wish to be sure their beach excursions don’t result in illness.

“I would shower right after getting out of the water just to stay on the safe side,” Verge said.

Also, those who wish to go to the beach may log onto www.healthebay.com to find out what grade their local beach has.

Under the current grading system, beaches receive a grade of A to F, to say how safe they are with A being the highest grade and F being a failing grade.

“It’s a useful tool that anyone can use,” Holliday said.

“Some beaches, though, always fail, like Malibu, because the properties there have septic tanks and right after a storm, things are ugly,” he said.

Curently, most beaches in the Southland have an A or B rating except for the Redondo Beach at Topaz Street, which has a failing grade.

Beachgoers should also try to swim away from piers.

“All the runoff from businesses on the pier are just ruining the water; Santa Monica Pier is the worst when it comes to polluting” Verge said.

Some think that the best way to stay safe is through prevention.

“Just don’t litter; don’t use plastic bottles, which are the biggest culprits (against the environment), and clean up after yourself,” Herzig said.

If people were educated on how to keep the planet green, Herzig think that it would help maintain a cleaner ocean.

“Start with kids and teach them to love the ocean,” he said.

“Kids are smart ; they’ll get it,” Herzig said.

Even though the water quality board has brought up some issues concerning whether beaches are safe, everyone can agree on one thing.

“Don’t be afraid of the ocean; it is safe to go in for a swim,” Verge said.