Union Comment: Sleazy comments, like stones, can hurt

What it is yo, ah what’s up? Can a playa just keep in touch? Give me your number and I’ll call. And I’ll follow that thang in the mall.

These words are more than just Trillville’s song lyrics.If any one is paying close attention, these lyrics closely resemble pick-up lines used throughout clubs, hangout spots and even on campus.

Sexual harassment throughout time has been a very sensitive issue. Those who harass may simply consider their comments as merely verbal admirations of what they observe.

Those who are victims of harassment may feel threatened by the often-undesired attention.

On campus, certain areas are notorious for the attention paid to the women who frequent them. In the classroom, however, this is less likely to occur, but unfortunately it does.

During my first semester at EC, I realized that as imprudent as sexual harassment coming from an instructor may be, given the college policies, it occurs too often.

In one of my social science classes, I had an instructor who was known by his students to make inappropriate comments. One time, as I was told, he complained about the fact that some of the female students’ attires were too revealing and made it hard for him to lecture.

I realized that the professor had a rather oily personality but given the natural respect attributed to instructors I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Any respect I had for this instructor quickly vanished when he made an inappropriate comment regarding a T-shirt I was wearing.

Like many other students who have been in similar situations, I simply brushed off the comment and immediately left his presence. I felt uncomfortable being around him but never considered filing a complaint against him.

To many students, filing a sexual harassment complaint seems like too drastic of a measure to take. However, not reporting these uncomfortable situations gives the aggressors the impression that their behavior is acceptable and even desired.

Although some may find that political correctness has gone too far, the truth is that a person’s rights end where the other person’s rights start.

Even though complimenting someone may help brighten that person’s day, one must be careful of the manner and intentions with which one compliments.

EC’s policy clearly states that sexual harassment is prohibited regardless of the status and/or relationships the affected may have.

If any person feels that he or she has been a victim of sexual harassment, he or she may file an official complaint with the EC Equal Employment Office by calling (310) 660-3813.