Sugar and schoolwork don’t mix

Imagine putting your money in the vending machine and waiting for your favorite mouth-watering candy bar to drop from the machine’s grasp and into your hand, only to realize that you have not purchased a candy bar, you have purchased a package of carrots.

During his bodybuilding event Sunday March 7, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger announced that he wants to ban the sale of junk food in public school vending machines and replace the junk food with healthier alternatives such as fruits and vegetables.

Schwarzenegger said he supports legislation by state Sen. Martha Escutia, D-Whittier, which would completely eliminate the selling of sugared sodas in vending machines beginning in 2009.

“I think it’s a good idea. I definitely think that it will help students lose weight. I think I would probably buy more food from school if they offered lower fattening items,” Sharareh Afshar, 19, music major, said.

According to the California Center for Public Health Advocacy, 26.5 percent of children in California are overweight, which is why Schwarzenegger addressed the topic in his question and answer session.

“From a health point of view, I support it,” respiratory therapist at Little Company of Mary Hospital Betsy Barnes said.

“I was first appalled when I found out what was being sold in those machines. Obesity is a growing problem in children and teenagers. I think it was motivated by money because schools make more money off of junk food and sugar water than off of juices and milk and fruit,” Barnes added.

Removing the food products containing an exorbitant amount of sugar may help improve students’ grades as well as their health.

According to Nancy Appleton, Ph.D., author of the book, “Lick the Sugar Habit,” sugar can suppress the immune system, cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating and crankiness in children.

While a majority of people believe it is a good idea to remove junk food from schools, others think that it removes a certain amount of freedom.

“I think Americans are overweight, but I think that it should be up to the person to decide (whether or not to eat junk food),” Adam Bell, 26, undeclared, said. “I think I would be mad if I couldn’t buy a cola. It’s up to the parents to decide what their children eat. I don’t think that’s for the government to regulate what we eat. We should have the right to choose. I think it’s wrong. It’s not their place,” Bell said.

Other students are not angry that the vending machines would be filled with healthy food; They are appreciative of the fact that they would in turn be healthier.

“I think it’s a good idea. I think people would get used to it and they would be happy about it later,” Alessa Gottsdanker, 19, undeclared, said. “Maybe I would be a little disappointed in the beginning, but I think in the long run I would appreciate it.”