Baseball team loses second game against Long Beach City College

The Warriors baseball team hosted the Long Beach (LBCC) Vikings Thursday in the second of three game series, losing 8-6 in extra innings.

The Warriors started the game off strong by scoring early when sophomore catcher Joey Notch hit a single to center field to bring in freshman designated hitter Zach Decuitus for the early 1-0 lead.

The Warriors faced an uphill battle against LBCC after they gave up a run in the top of the third inning. EC also conceded two runs in the top of the sixth inning that gave the Vikings a 3-1 lead late in the game.

Sophomore Joey Notch said that losing early in the game put the Vikings in an advantageous position.

“Them getting up early was probably the real turning point in the game,” Notch said.

After a scoreless sixth and seventh inning, and conceding one more run in the top of the eight, the Warriors started to turn the game around in the bottom of the eighth inning when they scored two runs that brought the score to 4-3.

After a rough top of the ninth inning, two more LBCC runs gave the visitors a very late 6-3 lead. However, the Warriors rallied back in the bottom of the ninth inning, tying the scoreline and taking the match to extra innings.

The extra innings didn’t prove very well for the Warriors as they gave up two runs in the top of the tenth inning, but earned no runs in the bottom of the tenth. The final score was 8-6.

The Warriors had a problem on the mound with throwing walks. Sophomore pitcher Chris Alcala threw four walks and freshman pitcher Sebastian Sanchez threw two walks.

Freshman Zach Decuitus said that the pitching was one of the things the Warriors needed to do better on the day.

“We really just didn’t make the pitches and plays when we needed to,” Decuitus said.

The Warriors and the Vikings both showed a lot of power at the plate, earning eleven total hits against LBCC. The biggest hitters on the day for the Warriors were freshman left fielder Jonathan Pasillas, who earned three hits, sophomore catcher Joey Notch, and freshman third baseman Tyler Martizia, who both recorded two hits.

Coach Nate Fernley said the hitting was one of the best things done by his team today.

“We had some really good at-bats toward the end of the game,” Fernley said.

After the second loss in a row against LBCC, Fernley said that he and his team are ready to get to work in preparation for their last game in the series against the Vikings.

“We just need to get a lot of work done at practice tomorrow and come out and battle them Saturday,” Fernley said.

The Warriors’ record drops to 9-6 and they travel to Long Beach Saturday March 7 for the last game in the three-game series.