Bakersfield baseball tournament opens season for Warriors, win 2 out of 3

The Warriors baseball team started off their season in the three-game Bakersfield tournament, finishing the series with two wins and one loss.

The series started Jan. 29 versus the Sequoias, resulting in an 8-1 victory. The Warriors recorded 13 total hits and seven RBI’s, compared to the Sequoias’ five hits and one RBI. Warriors sophomore catcher, Joey Notch, recorded three hits and two RBI’s, and freshman third-baseman, Tyler Martizia, succeeded in getting three hits out of his four at-bats.

The tournament continued Jan. 30 against Bakersfield, ending in a 2-1 loss in extra innings. The Warriors scored first in the top of the seventh inning thanks to an RBI single by sophomore outfielder, Alex Turner. After tying the game up in the bottom of the inning off of a fielders’ choice, the game went to extra innings, with Bakersfield scoring off of an RBI single in the bottom of the eleventh to win the game.

The tournament ended Jan. 31 after a final victory against Porterville, the final score 9-1. The Warriors were quite successful at the plate, recording 14 hits and nine RBI’s. The Warriors freshman designated hitter, Zach Decuitus, recorded three hits, shortstop Darrian Sylvester scored three RBI’s, and freshman third baseman, Tyler Martizia, had a big game with three hits and two RBI’s.

The Warriors’ next game is against Southwestern at home on Feb. 5.