Filed under Arts, Previews, On the Scene

Tailor Made Fashion Club to host 36th annual fashion show

Back to Article
Back to Article

Candidate DaMoryei Lathan auditions in front of the fashion show model selection student committee in the Student Activities Center on Thursday, March 29. Photo credit: Jack Kan

On Tuesday, May 29 the Tailor Made Fashion Club sponsored 36th annual fashion show will kick off at 7 p.m. in the East Dining Room above the El Camino College Bookstore. This year’s theme is “City of Lights.”

The event will be hosted by EC lecturer Gayle Baizer, who is a costume designer and stylist in her own right. The show will also feature a “Mini Hair Show” by the EC Cosmetology Department.

This event is the culmination of the Fashion 44 class “Fashion Show Production”, taught by professor Vera Bruce Ashley of the EC Fashion Department. The show is run by fashion student committees. Eight designers are set to design and produce a full collection of five pieces each. These collections will be shown by more than twenty models.

Fashion Show student committee treasurer Desirée Villatoro manages the shoe selection available to model candidates during the first open model call held at the Student Activities Center on Thursday, March 29. Photo credit: Jack Kan

Professor Vera Bruce Ashley, who teaches the Fashion 44 class, stands among the dress forms in her classroom at El Camino College. Photo credit: Jack Kan

The models were selected through an exhaustive process consisting of two model calls which took place at the Students Activities Center on Thursday, March 29 and on Tuesday, April 3. The casting calls were open to the public at large, as candidates of all ages, shapes, sizes, ethnicities, and experience levels were sought.

A diverse group of candidates came to the first open model call held at the Student Activities Center on Thursday, March 29. Photo credit: Jack Kan

For example, Ashley said that the “plus size” segment of the fashion apparel market is becoming increasingly important nowadays.

Cross-dressing performance artist Malik Smith was on hand to help the model candidates with tips on how to move on the catwalk. The fashion industry is known to be LGBTQ-friendly, and the model application form and contract featured an explicit non-discrimination policy. Los Angeles is now widely recognized as the epicenter of the mass market fashion industry in the country.

Stage performer Malik Smith and fashion show student committee member Jorge Garcia give pointers to model candidates on how to walk on stage during the model call held in the Student Activities Center on Tuesday, April 3. Photo credit: Jack Kan

For further questions about the event contact Vera Bruce Ashley at 310 660-3593, ext. 3346, or email [email protected]

• Arts

Lo-Tech/ No-Tech will provide dancers the opportunity to show their moves on stage

• Tailor Made Fashion Club to host 36th annual fashion show

Arts

Fall Advanced Dance Concert

Arts

Drawing is her favorite form of expression

Arts

Dressing as a drag queen is more than a hobby for EC student

Arts

Free annual Faculty Show to showcase artwork from EC staff members

Arts

Military band performs at El Camino, here are 19 photos from the event

• Arts

Freezing ‘On Assignment Antarctica’ film showing at El Camino

Arts

EC student creates magic with a camera

Arts

Art Gallery presenting ‘Caminos and Passages’ exhibit by Raoul De la Sota

Arts

We Banjo 3 tour comes to El Camino College