Filed under Arts, Top Stories

EC celebrates National Poetry Month in the form of a Slam Poetry Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jeremiah Riley Photo credit: Jaimie Woods

El Camino College celebrated National Poetry Month by hosting its second Slam Poetry Competition in the Distance Education Building on Thursday, April 26.

IMG_8227.jpg

The Slam Poetry Competition was held on Thursday, April 26 in the Distance Education Building. Photo credit: Jaimie Woods

MARI-1.JPG

Willie Guardado hears his poem evaluating result during the Slam Poetry Competition on Thursday, April 26. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

“April is the month that the nation celebrates poetry,” Analu Cruz-Josephides, Assistant Professor Reference Librarian said. “I’m hoping that we as a committee agree upon making this an annual event.”

IMG_8345.jpg

El Camino student poet Tomi Yamamoto in the slam poetry competition on Thursday April 26, 2018 at El Camino College Photo credit: Jaimie Woods

The poems at the event varied from talks about the annoyance of one’s grammar to social injustices and experiences with sexual assault.

“We don’t understand how sexual assault affects men especially gay men,” Damon Lawson, 20, education major said.

Lawson who won second place hopes to shine a light on the effects of sexual assault on gay men.

“According to the Human Rights campaign gay men are assaulted 30 percent more than any other demographic,” Lawson said. “But only five percent of us ever talk out about it because of the repercussions of speaking out about it.”

IMG_8523.jpg

The audience applauds during the Slam Poetry Competition on Thursday, April 26. Photo credit: Jaimie Woods

IMG_2122.JPG

The Slam Poetry Competition was held on Thursday, April 26 in the Distance Education Building. Photo credit: Jimmie Joyner

This years first place winner Avion Warner spoke on the struggles of being black in current-day America.

“It’s kind of sketchy for me to walk down the streets and have police looking at me and I see them look at me the whole [time], and it irritates my soul,” Warner, 18, psychology major, said. “It wasn’t a hate poem, it was just more of a social injustice for all races.”

IMG_8481.jpg

First place winner Avion Warner during the Slam Poetry Competition on Thursday, April 26. Photo credit: Jaimie Woods

He hopes that people hearing his poem will take peace and positivity from his words.

IMG_8659.jpg

Slam Poetry Competition finalists from right to left: 4th place Tomi Yamamoto, 5th place Riley Staal, 1st place Warner Avio, 2nd place Damon Mitchell, and 3rd place Jeremiah Riley. Photo credit: Jaimie Woods

“I hope people take the truth and vision, the reality of America and how cruel it could be,” Warner said. “America is still beautiful, but there are a lot of injustices that we have to work on as human beings.”

About the Writer
Tanya Silerio, Senior Staff Writer

Tanya Silerio is a her second semester staff writer for The Union. She enjoys binge watching tv shows, listening to music, and reading. She plans on transferring...

• Arts

Lo-Tech/ No-Tech will provide dancers the opportunity to show their moves on stage

• EC celebrates National Poetry Month in the form of a Slam Poetry Competition

Arts

Fall Advanced Dance Concert

Arts

Drawing is her favorite form of expression

Arts

Dressing as a drag queen is more than a hobby for EC student

Arts

Free annual Faculty Show to showcase artwork from EC staff members

Arts

Military band performs at El Camino, here are 19 photos from the event

• Arts

Freezing ‘On Assignment Antarctica’ film showing at El Camino

Arts

EC student creates magic with a camera

Arts

Art Gallery presenting ‘Caminos and Passages’ exhibit by Raoul De la Sota

Arts

We Banjo 3 tour comes to El Camino College