ECC Art Gallery’s featured artist Karen Koblitz hosts an artist’s talk

The El Camino College Art Gallery hosted an artist’s talk featuring Karen Koblitz, the current artist whose ceramic exhibition “Cultural Diplomacy” is being shown until Thursday, April 26.

022-MARI.JPG
    Artist Karen Koblitz during her artist's talk in the El Camino College Art Gallery on Tuesday, April 3. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

“I have been in shows before,” Koblitz said. “Susanna (Meiers) has put me in shows here at (El Camino) before.”

2018-04-03.jpg
    "L.A. Landmark Plates", Maiolica earthenware by Karen Koblitz, on display at the ECC Art Gallery on Tuesday, April 3. Photo credit: Jack Kan
    Jack's #3 / K75_7546.JPG
    Karen Koblitz gives a talk at her "Cultural Diplomacy"exhibition on Tuesday, April 3 in the El Camino College Art Gallery. Photo credit: Jack Kan

When it comes to her art, Koblitz does not have a favorite rather she loves them all.

“You know people are always asking about what pieces are my most favorite,” Koblitz said. “I could tell you something I love about every piece, but I can’t tell you which is my favorite.”

Jack's #1 / K75_7556.JPG
    Karen Koblitz gives a talk at her "Cultural Diplomacy" exhibition on Tuesday, April 3 in the El Camino College Art Gallery. Photo credit: Jack Kan

Koblitz hopes that her exhibit can be an eye opener for spectators to see how rich the world is.

“I think that this world is in a terrible place now. I think people talk about fear, they malign other religions and other people,” Koblitz said. “I think when you travel and meet people one on one you realize we are all the same and the world is so rich with different ideas in religion and customs it’s wonderful when you learn.”

K75_7573.JPG
    "Arts and Crafts Still Life #2" earthenware by Karen Koblitz, on display at the ECC Art Gallery on Tuesday, April 3. Photo credit: Jack Kan

Art Gallery Director and Curator Susanna Meires agrees that visiting Koblitz’s exhibition can help inspire anyone to achieve their dreams.

“They could see an example of somebody who has made a life of making beautiful work that is meaningful,” Meiers said. “Her work reaches different cultures. It’s pretty inspiring.”

K75_7602.JPG
    "Globalization #3," by Karen Koblitz, on display at the ECC Art Gallery on Tuesday, April 3. Photo credit: Jack Kan
    001-MARI.jpg

For art major Emily Vargez, coming to the artist’s talk helped her gain more enthusiasm in art.

“It’s always nice to see someone that has made it in the art world,” Vargez, 24, said. “It’s motivating, it helped get through my slump.”

For more information regarding Koblitz’s exibition visit the El Camino College website.