Dancers create an impact in The Spring Dance Concert

As the lights slowly dim, they walk onto the stage with balloons tied to their long smooth hair and stare at the crowd waiting for the music to play. As the track comes on, the girls begin to move their hips in style, bringing more life to the audience. When the music ends, the girls walks off stage and the audience stands up to applaud their performance.

The Spring Advance Dance Concert which took place on April 1 and 2 in The Marsee Auditorium featured a wide range of different types of dancing such as hip hop, tap, and modern dancing. Liz Hoefner Adamis, Daniel Berney, and Jennifer La Curan directed the concert.

The performances went really well, Lesleyann Kingman, 29, choreographer and dance major said. It was great working with so many great supportive casts, she said.

The concert opened up with a big performance, which was choreographed by Liz Hoefner Adams. The music to the performance featured music by Andy Stott and were also edited by Hoefner.

“This was the very first concert that I been to and, I was absolutely amaze by it,” Hector Gonzalez, 26, journalism major, said.

The students that participated in the Spring Advance Dance Concert were part of the choreography class on campus.

A highlight performance in the concert was “What do you see?” which was choreographed by Christina Morales with contributions from Minkah Smith and Da’lyn Suttice.

The music featured in the performance was “You and I (Nobody In The World)” and the audio from the video “(What Do You See When You Look In The Mirror),” by John Legend

“I think my favorite of the other dancers in the show was the trio of the dancers talking about looking in the mirrors. I felt a real emotional connection,” Daniel Obejas, 21, choreographer and sign language major, said.

Other audience members enjoyed the show but some were more critical of it.

“I thought the show was very interesting. It was very well put together, the choreography was great. The only downside was being able to see that the dancers were tired,”Travis Lionel, 20, engineering major said.

The most applauded performance of the show was “Uptown Funk” that featured, Lionel Taplin, 23, dance major. Hiroshi Hamanishi choreographed the tap dancing performance.

“I love to dance because Micheal Jackson made me want to dance. Micheal Jackson is an icon, he is the king of pop and he is just great at everything he does,” Taplin said.

The show had experienced dancers and new dancers. “I only started dancing this past year and I thought it would be a really good experience for me,” Maya Adhikaril, 19, sociology major said.

She added “I only got into one piece (It’s Time). I can’t believe I made it, to be honest. My favorite piece by far is the very last piece,” Adhikaril said.

“THE BANQUIT!” was the last performance of the show, which was choreographed by Kim Borgaro.

“Second Bad Vibel” by “Autechre” and “Inside from the Robotech Invasion Game,” was the music featured in the last performance of the concert.

The last performance of the concert was among audiences favorite. “The part that really stood out to me was the last one. The robotech soundtrack, the Gothic steam-punk style of it really stood out. It was a great way to end the show,” Lionel said.

Some audience members like the way the concert was carried out.

“The show was executed well and it had an huge impact on me and my heart,” Sarah Desmond, 20, undecided major said.

For details of upcoming events on campus click here.