EC track and field look to find stride early after Mt. SAC season opener

The runners line up on their starting blocks looking in anticipation at the official, and waiting for the first gun shot of the 2015 track and field campaign. The shot fires and the runners are off. EC track and field is officially back in season.

The Southern Coast Conference season-opener kicked off the spring season with a bang at Mt.San Antonio College this past Friday afternoon. The Warriors looked in early season form placing top three in events across the board.

Freshmen Hannah Griffie and Kimberly Markley, looked to prove they meant business as they both took silver in the womens’ 800M and 400M races.

The girls’ distance team looked strong early in the season as freshman Xitlalic Canchola also took bronze in the 1500M run to rack up the medal count early in the track meet.

Both men’s and women’s 4x400M teams took the gold in a strong performance that showed the Southern Coast Conference early to set the tempo for the rest of the season.

“I think we did really well in our first meet. Both 4x400M teams did really well for the first meet,” freshman distance-runner, Jackie Rodriguez, said.

The EC men’s distance team rallied to bring home multiple top three finishers as sophomore Khalil Flemister took third in the 400M dash, sophomore Daniel York-Mouton took the gold in the 800M dash, sophomore Tyler Caracoza took the bronze in the 1500M run, and freshmen Teddy Kassa took the silver in the 3000M run.

While it is only the beginning of the season team chemistry is alive and well as teammates are excited for the rest of the season.

“This team is really cool and I like the diversity of athletes we got here,” freshman distance runner, Cameron Corrao, said.

The mens’ jumps team also stepped up in a big way by also producing top three finishers as sophomore William Ingram took silver in men’s high jump, sophomore Blaize Ali-Watkins took bronze in the mens’ long jump, and also Khalil Flemister placing top three in two events taking the silver in mens’ triple jump.

Representing the mens’ throws team was freshmen Kevin Hughley placing third in shot put and placing fifth in discus.

As an overall unit the Warriors did well for the first track meet of the season but know it is a long journey to state with much needed improvement to be were they want to be.

“It was an OK start for this first meet but overall we need to improve as a unit,” freshman sprinter, Dartanion Bristo, said.

The Warriors will get a chance to see their improvements as they prepare for the upcoming meet this Friday at Orange Coast Community College.