Dedication pays off for record-breaking swimmer

Hogan Inscore swims ahead of state championships last week. Inscore broke three school records for the 50 meter butterfly (24.50), the 50-meter breaststroke (26.73), and the 100 breaststroke (57.11) in the conference championships. Photo credit: John Fordiani

Three records have been broken by an El Camino student this season and he is just getting started with his career in competing in swimming professionally.

Redondo Union High alum Hogan Inscore broke three of EC’s records in swimming on Feb. 20. He broke records for the 50-meter butterfly and the 50-meter breaststroke before breaking those same records again in the conference championships in April, according to the EC athletics website.

Making school history has been “satisfying,” Inscore said. His lively personality and comedic humor is how Inscore expresses how he feels about breaking the records.

“I am satisfied with what I did. I don’t really think about records too much,” Inscore said. “I am happy to get it. It’s definitely cool and a big accomplishment. I thought about it in the beginning of the season and it’s nice to have checked that off my list.”

Inscore has been swimming since he was 12 and he always knew that he wanted to race. Having known coach Corey Stanbury since before he joined EC, Inscore knew that he would get good training by joining the swim team with Stanbury.

“Once I came to EC, I knew that (Stanbury) would get me where I wanted to go in swimming,” Inscore said.

Having trained Inscore before, Stanbury knew what Hogan was able to do.

“He is a very versatile swimmer so he is very fast in all his strokes, over the course of his career here he has qualified for state championships in IMs which is all four strokes in a variety of distances,” Stanbury said.

This is Stanbury’s third season that he has been coaching Inscore. Having been described as a very “energetic person,” coach Stanbury said that Inscore trains three hours per week in the pool.

Typically during the season, he will train with his team one hour in the morning and two hours in the afternoon, which is about 10,000 yards a day, Stanbury said Stanbury notices how fast Inscore is with each stroke that he takes.

“He is not afraid of hard work and keeps our workout very lively,” Stanbury said.

Having broken the three records at EC, Inscore is not stopping anytime soon. In the future, he would like to break more records while at EC.

“For swimming, I would like to get more best times, that’s why everybody swims to be their personal best. So wherever my best times take me is where I would want to be,” Inscore said.

Inscore has always shown interest in competing.

“He loves the competition. If he could compete and not train he would be the happiest person on the earth, but unfortunately you have to train and be in shape in order to do it,” coach Stanbury said.