Beach city pole-vaulter reaches new heights

Freshman pole vaulter Sara Curran has been on fire for the El Camino track and field team. Her current highest jump is 3.59 meters in the women’s pole vault event. Photo credit: Gilberto Castro

The El Camino track team has had its ups and downs heading into the halfway mark of the season. Many players have been playing key roles consistently earning points for the team as a whole.

But one freshman pole vaulter in particular has been dominating meet after meet this season and her name is Sara Curran.

Curran has been one of the few stars in the track team that has been on a roll, placing in the top three in the majority of meets.

She grew up in Manhattan Beach as a child, then moved to Redondo Beach later in her life, Curran said. As a South Bay native, Curran loved the coast and she immersed herself in water sports such as surf and swim, she said.

Curran’s athletic ability became apparent in high school by representing Redondo Union in swimming, water polo, and surf.

“I didn’t start pole vaulting until my junior year. I was a water polo player and swimmer at the time,” Curran said.

Curran’s love for the sport quickly developed into a constant strive for perfection and nothing less. Curran’s toughest critic was herself as she said that it is a battle with yourself when it comes to pole vaulting.

“It’s in her blood,” track coach Dean Lofgren said. “Her dad’s one of the best pole vault coaches around.”

Pole vaulting runs in Curran’s family since her uncles and dad all practiced the sport. The transition for her was very smooth compared to brand new beginners Curran said.

“My dad’s whole family were pole vaulters, so it seemed appropriate,” Curran said. “I knew the terminology already and had good base for it because I did gymnastics when I was younger.”

Curran’s dad, Anthony Curran, has been her pole vault coach since her career started in high school. Both Curran and her brother are very fortunate to have a dad mentor them in a sport the whole family loves. The credentials of Curran’s dad are top notch as he is the current pole vault coach at UCLA.

“(Sara’s) been doing great. She’s has been very consistent and is always striving to be better,” her father said.

Curran’s talent shined early on in her pole vault career in high school and carried it on in college representing EC. She said she picked up the sport quickly even though she started in her junior year of high school.

Curran said her future plans involve transferring to SDSU or Concordia University for track and graphic design in advertising.

When Curran’s not working on pole vaulting, she said that she enjoys surfing on her down time with the rest of her family. Curran’s skill on a surfboard is well known, as she is sponsored by Wellen Women and Savor Surf.

Curran’s athletic ability and mental toughness is what makes her great on the field.
“You always have to roll with the punches and perform under pressure,” Curran said.
She just placed second in conference finals and is competing in the SoCal Championships.