Sand volleyball sweeps doubleheader as regular season winds down

Warriors Nia Masui digs the ball and passes to Tessy Beth Iwuh in a match versus Riverside City College on Friday April 3. The Warriors defeated the Tigers 4-1 and the Pierce College Brahmas 3-2 on Friday afternoon. Photo credit: John Fordiani

Despite the windy conditions, the sand volleyball team was able to win both of its matches in Friday’s doubleheader against Riverside City College and L.A. Pierce College.

The Warriors beat Riverside City College with a final score of 4-1, and L.A. Pierce College with a close score of 3-2. This was their first meeting against Riverside City College this season, which was just recently added to their schedule.

It was their second time playing against L.A. Pierce, who they beat 4-1 last time out.

In spite of their victories, Jennifer Mason was not pleased with her performance.

“(The errors) kind of screwed us up in the end,” Mason said.

Brenda Silva was also not impressed by her individual performance.

“I could do way better than I performed today,” Silva said. “We lost both sets and I feel that I didn’t focus enough to win.”

With just two more dates remaining on the Warriors’ schedule for the regular season, both doubleheaders, the playoffs seem to be looming right around the corner.

Of course, there is always the possibility that more dates and matches may be added to the Warriors’ schedule at the eleventh hour as it has happened twice this season against Rio Hondo College and Riverside City College.

As far as preparing mentally goes, Mason does not seem to be worried.

“I feel like it’s just one game,” Mason said. “Just because it’s the playoffs it’s not a whole different thing. You just have to play your game.”

Britnie Welchhance also expressed not being nervous about the postseason.

“The playoffs are just another game we have to play,” Welchhance said. “Yes it’s more pressure, but we have the skill to not get too nervous about it.”

Welchhance said the team always has room to improve and that they have the skill to contend for and win a title.

The Warriors record improves to 8-2. Their next matches will take place next Friday at 11 a.m. when they host both Fullerton College and Golden West College in a doubleheader.

This will be El Camino’s first time playing against Fullerton College while it will be EC’s second meeting against Golden West College this season. The Warriors lost to Golden West College in their last meeting 4-1 which was an away game.

To see the full schedule for the sand volleyball team click here.

To read the last story on the Warriors’ previous match click here.