Warriors dismantle L.A. Trade Tech, men’s volleyball win-streak extends to 4

Warriors outside hitter Casey Wood spikes the ball past L.A. Trade Tech on Friday March 13. The Warriors defeated the Beavers 3-0. The men’s volleyball team stands at 12-1 so far this semster and 5-1 in the Western State Conference. Photo credit: John Fordiani

A back and forth first set led to a 24-16 lead when the visiting men’s volleyball team was set to receive.

After they received, L.A. Trade Tech’s attack was stuffed down with a solo block by sophomore middle blocker Peter Nordel.

The Warriors took set one, 25-16, and rode that momentum into the rest of the match.

The 11-1 Warriors continued their win streak against the visiting 0-8 L.A. Trade Tech College Beavers (LATTC) on March 13.

“The first set was sloppy, but after that we got efficient play from the guys in set two and three,” coach Kurt Peters said.

Sophomore setter Chris Griebenow had some thoughts about the first set sloppiness.

“We weren’t focused on our side. We were thinking too much about them,” Griebenow said. “We ignored that afterwards and were able to play it out well.”

The Warriors outclassed the Beavers in every aspect; from the attacking and blocking to serving and defense.

Although the attacking in set two showed strength for the Beavers, with six kills and one error. Their defense struggled as the Warriors blew up on offense with 17 kills and zero errors.

The Warriors won set two 25-13.

Not wanting to take the loss and go home, the Beavers defense stood out in the third set. But the Warriors did not care as they brought the heat with 12 kills and three errors and forced nine attacking errors for the Beavers.

The sweep was a reality as the Warriors won set three 25-12.

Sophomore outside hitter Casey Wood played only one set before the rotations and substitutes kept him out of the loop against the last placed LATTC.

When asked about the preparation against the last place team and if was different he said, “of course not, the core group (starters) talk about it and make sure we focus.”

Wood, who missed a couple games earlier in the campaign, said he was back to 100 percent and that he felt the best he has all season.

L.A. Trade Tech keeps their last place position in the standings as they fail to find a win again. They are the only team in the Western State and Pacific Coast conferences to record no wins so far.

While the loss to the Santa Monica Corsairs still haunts the Warriors in the standings, they continue to keep their spot in second place with a 12-1 record overall and a 5-1 conference record.

EC’s next game is a conference match at L.A. Pierce over spring break on March 20.