El Camino women’s volleyball team advances to state tournament for first time since 2011

Women’s volleyball can be a fickle sport.

Sometimes the No. 14 seed (Irvine Valley College) can upset a No. 3 (Santa Barbara City College) seed on a Tuesday and give them motivation to come out on fire.

Then the No. 6 seeded El Camino Warriors host you and goes off to advance to state.

Seems simple, especially when the team fires on all cylinders to dominate the visitors.

El Camino advanced to the State Tournament for the first time since 2011 after sweeping the visiting IVC (25-20, 25-16, 25-15) Saturday night.

“It’s single elimination out there,” EC coach Le Valley Pattison said. “(But) we’re excited.”

The Warriors will most likely head into the state bracket as the lowest Southern California seed and will play the highest seed from Northern California, but if the team continues to play as it did Saturday, it could make it very far.

“We were (very) consistent tonight, ” Pattison said. “Tonight’s the (best) Jaylin’s played all season, and it’s good that it comes (at the end of the season).”

Freshman outside hitter Jaylin Motley came clutch with her nine kills tonight, ending the first set with back-to-back kills and the second set to give the Warriors a strong lead.

Motley wasn’t the only strong performer tonight, considering the Warriors outperformed the Lasers in just about every aspect of the game.

Offensive star Taylor Brydon was the only player to hit double-digit kills, with her second-straight 17-kill game.

“I played well tonight,” Brydon said. “But I owe it to my teammates (and the way) they played.”

Brydon’s team continues to show off in the playoffs as the defense has put up 106 digs and 14 total blocks.

The goal isn’t to end the great plays there, the team needs to continue it when it plays next Saturday.

“We need to keep the energy,” sophomore setter Nina Wyer said. “Our team plays with a lot of energy so I (know) we can do it.”