Sophomore leads El Camino women’s volleyball team past Cerritos College in sweep

El Camino women’s volleyball freshman middle blocker Cheyanne Smith (white No. 10) and freshman outside hitter Aiko Waters (white No. 7) wait for the serve against the Cerritos College Falcons on Wednesday night. EC Warriors would win in straight sets (29-27, 25-19, 25-16). Photo credit: Alain Miranda

Sometimes a conference rematch doesn’t end so well for one team.

The Cerritos College Falcons were the visitors in a South Coast Conference – South rematch against the No. 10 ranked El Camino women’s volleyball team (18-3 overall, 5-0 in conference), but it didn’t end well for Cerritos.

Sophomore opposite hitter Taylor Brydon popped off for 13 kills and 11 digs to lead the Warriors to a sweep over their conference rival.

“I think it was a good win for us,” she said.. “We could have done it a little faster but we missed a lot of serves (10 total), myself included (3 for Brydon). So we’re just going to work on that in practice.”

Although the Warriors were on the winning side of both matches vs. Cerritos, this match was vastly different compared to the Sept. 24 victory.

In the earlier match-up, El Camino coach Le Valley Pattison tried to implement a 6-2 offense (in which the team rotates in two different setters during play), but it didn’t end so well.

After going down 0-2, Pattison made a change to the roster and moved sophomore setter Michelle Shimamoto to a different spot on the court.

“It was a littler easier (this time),” Shimamoto said. “Everyone has their set roles now, instead of going from setter (in the first two sets vs. Cerritos), I went to libero halfway through (that match).”

Once Shimamoto went to libero, the Warriors barely squeaked out a win on the road against the Cerritos College Falcons (8-12, 2-3) on Sept. 24.

“I thought the last match we didn’t play well,” Pattison said. “I think we played better, but we struggled serving (tonight), we let them back in the first game. (But) Brooklyn played well tonight, she hung in there.”

As Pattison said, the sophomore outside hitter/libero, Brooklyn Rubio, did her part in keeping the team alive with her seven kills and match-high 12 digs.

Rubio stepped in for the second-straight match as freshman outside hitter Jaylin Motley nurses a sore shoulder.

Good news for the freshman is that she was able to suit up tonight, something she couldn’t do against East Los Angeles College.

“Hopefully (Jaylin will) be stronger and ready to go (for the Long Beach match),” Pattison said. “Everybody knows we need to show up and play them (in two weeks).”