El Camino women’s soccer team remain unbeaten with late goal over L.A. Harbor College

With six minutes left in the game, Warriors’ team captain Kalyn Kaemerle launched a shot at the goal from midfield, causing the L.A. Harbor College goalie to punch it back after nearly losing her balance.

Freshman forward Kayla Sanchez gathered the rebound and fired a shot from five feet away to score the game-winning goal and help El Camino to a thrilling 2-1 win over rival L.A. Harbor College Tuesday at Murdock Stadium.

“Honestly, I don’t remember at all.” Kaemerle said about her long shot attempt from midfield. “I saw the goalie off her line and I just went for it.”

Immediately after the goal by Sanchez, the L.A. Harbor coaching staff argued with the referees that the play was offsides. The Seahawks’ goalkeeper was issued a red card and the team was issued a red card, resulting in the game ending.

Prior to the game-winning goal, the referee overturned a penalty kick against the Warriors after a collision inside the box. That call ignited a series of events that caused frustration within the L.A. Harbor players and coaching staff.

The referee gave the Warriors a red card and a penalty kick for L.A. Harbor, but after meeting with the linesman, the call was overturned.

“We got lucky and came out with the victory, coach John Britton said. “The last minutes of the game could have gone either way for both sides. Both teams played a good offensive game. The away teams mentally beat themselves and called it a game.”

Sanchez got the Warriors on the board in the 50th minute when she scored on a cross by sophomore Sarina Ferlazzo for a 1-0 lead. L.A Harbor evened the score, 1-1, with a goal in the 57th minute.

The Seahawks finished the game with 14 shots on target, while the Warriors were right behind them with 13.

Freshman defender Tiffany Azad said it was not the best game they have played so far.

“All we can do is learn from our mistakes today,” Azad said. “I don’t think either team really outplayed one another, we struggled in some areas and they struggled in others. Kayla’s goal was the coolest thing that happened all game.”

Sanchez has come off the bench to spark the Warriors’ offense with five goals on the season, including the game winner against Long Beach City College last week.

The Warriors (7-0-3) will travel to L.A. Valley College Thursday. Kick off is scheduled for 2 p.m.