El Camino women’s water polo team defeated SMC in game one; fall to L.A. Valley College in game two.

El Camino freshman Sabrina Byrne looks to make a pass during the third quarter against Santa Monica College on Friday, Sept. 16. Photo credit: Alba Mejia

The El Camino’s women’s water polo team took an early 6-1 first quarter lead against Santa Monica College.

EC went on to shut out SMC the rest of the game, leading to a 15-1 victory in the Warriors first game of the tournament last Friday.

The star player was EC freshman Ilene Guerrero, who scored five goals in the game, while freshman Andrea Canchola added three goals.

“I feel really good,” Canchola said, who has been playing water polo for the last five years. “I scored more than I did last two games we played, so right now that’s like my high score. I feel like I’m getting better.”

EC led 11-1 at halftime and scored four goals in the second half to put SMC away. Freshman goalie Taylor Baird led the defense with eight saves.

“I think we work well as a team,” Baird said. “We’re better at offense (but) we struggle a little bit on the defensive side, because some schools been playing a little harder and it’s hard for them to get open and then I’m just like holding the ball.”

EC coach Corey Stanbury said he knew they were playing good teams and wanted his team to come and do the things they worked on in practice.

In the second game of the tournament hosted by EC, the Warriors dropped a 15-8 loss to L.A. Valley College.

“During practice, our coach tries to get me shoot a lot more and he has me practicing against our goalie,” Canchola said. “I’m usually the one that opens during games,”

The Warriors are back in action when they host L.A. Trade Tech Wednesday at 3 p.m.