Strong passing earns El Camino women’s volleyball team back-to-back sweeps in doubleheader

An early dominant performance by sophomore right sider Taylor Brydon had the El Camino women’s volleyball team on the brink of an “easy sweep” over the San Diego Mesa College Olympians in a neutral match at Long Beach City College on Saturday.

The Warriors were up 2-0 in the match and were looking to completely take the momentum leading into the next match, but Mesa’s sophomore outside hitter Isabel Miller had other ideas. Miller banged a couple kills to give the Olympians an early 4-2 lead and a close third set.

Ultimately, the El Camino women’s volleyball team (3-0 overall) would take down both San Diego Mesa College and Southwestern College in back-to-back sweeps on Saturday.

“I think Taylor played fantastic today,” Pattison said. “Victoria was solid (and) moving well in the front. I think Tessy got the game ball for (the first match).”

El Camino could never quite find the grasp it had in the first two sets and freshman Jaylin Motley seemed to struggle a bit, although coach Le Valley Pattison had a different line-up than the original starting members.

Pattison subbed in sophomore outside hitter Tessy Beth Iwuh who brought the energy and the fire that the Warriors needed off the bench.

“I think I just have to work hard,” Iwuh said. “When I get in (the game) I think about getting it and (making) sure I get the ball in and not make an error.”

Iwuh played strong today, but during the Southwestern match every player was able to get in the game at some point; and even though the team may not have had its best players, the Warriors still squeaked out two convincing sweeps.

Next on the list for the Warriors is a road match against the Cypress College Chargers on Wednesday at 6 p.m.

“They’re always good,” Pattison said. “It’s hard to gauge them, because (we only saw them during scrimmage).”

While the team prepares to get ready for next week, the Warriors will also be tasked with eight matches between Friday and Saturday at the Cerritos Tournament, in which the Warriors took second-place last year; losing only to the Cypress Chargers.

“We played really hard today, we’re starting to hit that point in the season where things are starting to click,” sophomore middle blocker Victoria Curtice said. “Cypress? No biggie. We’re going to work hard, kick butt and have fun.”