Up next for the beach volleyball team: EC will host first round of individual playoffs

The El Camino beach volleyball team won its conference with a 15-1 overall record and a 7-0 conference record. The team will host the first and second round of individual playoffs on April 27 and 29, and then the team regional matches on May 3. Photo credit: Phil Sidavong

The El Camino beach volleyball team’s perfect season was ended on Friday and now the team stands at 15-1 overall and 7-0 in the conference.

But that loss to Santa Barbara City College is meaningless in the sense that the team is still the No. 1 seed in the Western State Conference and is still one of the top teams in the state and will host one of the four team regionals.

Tomorrow the individual pairs will take to the Sand Courts at El Camino for a spot at in the second round of playoffs.

All five pairs from EC will be in the playoffs and four of the pairs will play tomorrow (the exception being sophomores Laynie Thompson and Sadie Fraker, who get a bye in the first round), head coach Le Valley Pattison said.

Assistant coach Liz Hazell said there will be 14 total matches played, but the pairs will play at different times, depending on the schedule:

• Brooklyn Rubio, freshman, and Jewel Yandall, sophomore, will be the first pair for El Camino and will be in the second match. They are the only pair for EC to have not lost a match to community college opponents.
  • Brooke Russell, sophomore, and Taylor Brydon, freshman, will play in the seventh match.
  • Sophomores Nickeisha Williams and Michelle Shimamoto will play in the eleventh match.
  • And the freshman duo of Jessica Dow and Victoria Curtice will play in the thirteenth match.

When: Wednesday, April 27, 1 p.m.

Where: El Camino Sand Courts

Admission: Free, parking permits are $3.

Can’t make it to the game? For live updates from each pairs match, follow @ECCUnionPhil.