Softball teams’ win streak ends in conference loss

Warriors’ third baseman Maleigha Quintero looks to make contact with a pitch while playing the East Los Angeles College Tuesday, April 12. The Warriors lost to the Huskies on their turf, 4-3. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

The El Camino College softball team failed to overcome a three-run first inning by the Huskies, ending it’s six-game win streak.

The Warriors (22-12, 11-6) fell to South Coast Conference opponent, East Los Angeles College, 4-3, on Tuesday.

El Camino’s pitching struggled in the beginning, allowing all four runs in the first two innings. The offense was unable to catch fire as the Warriors finished with seven hits in 22 at-bats.

Freshman pitcher Natalie Francis only lasted one out in the first inning, allowing three hits and three earned runs. Francis was replaced by freshman pitcher Haley Reed, who finished the game, allowing two hits and two earned runs.

“I didn’t have the best day on the mound,” Francis said. “Haley came in and picked me up, only allowing one run. Even though we lost we stayed positive and kept our energy up.”

The loss keeps the Warriors one game behind Cerritos College for second place in the South Coast Conference.

The Warriors will be back in action when they host Long Beach City College (19-16, 9-7) Thursday at 3 p.m.