Early-game struggles continue for men’s volleyball team in loss against Long Beach City College

Nehemiah Iosia, outside hitter spikes the ball in set two against the Vikings during a home game on April 6. Photo credit: Sue Hong

The men’s volleyball team was looking to force a fifth set, but trailed 18-19. The visiting Long Beach City College Vikings just called a timeout and six points later, El Camino was down 24-19.

But sophomore middle blocker Peter Nordel plowed a kill off of LBCCs Andrew Pearson in the middle of the court.

The Warriors turned off a couple more kills and the crowd was getting hyped up but the Vikings still led 24-22.

In the next play, the ball goes long toward the audience’s sideline on the Warriors’ side. Two players looked at is as the bench called the ball, “Out.”

Unfortunately, the line judge pointed his flag to the area where the ball landed; it was in.

El Camino’s men’s volleyball team (9-8 overall, 6-4 in the Western State Conference) would fall at home, 3-1 in sets (15-25, 19-25, 25-18, 22-25) against the No. 1 seed in the WSC, the Long Beach City College Vikings (16-2, 9-0) on Wednesday.

“El Camino played us real tough,” LBCC coach Jonathan Charette said. “The atmosphere in (the gym) was really competitive, It was loud (and) it startled our guys, that’s why we struggled at the end, but I was happy to see our guys stay relaxed, poised and finish the game.”

The crowd was loud for both sides, with families, supporters and friends coming for both Long Beach and El Camino, and like Charette said, the atmosphere made a difference in the game.

“Games three and four, we battled,” EC coach Dick Blount said. “It was fun. I love a full crowd, it was noisy for both sides. The (players) need that.”

The Warriors lost, but still hold a half-game lead over Moorpark College; this makes the final two games of the season, against Santa Barbara City College and Santa Monica College, that much more important.

“I don’t think we have a choice, (we have to win),” sophomore outside hitter/middle blocker Josh Riblett said.