Beach volleyball team looks unstoppable; sweeps Ventura College and Rio Hondo College

Sophomore Jewel Yandall attacks the ball in the No. 5 pairs match vs. Rio Hondo College on Friday, March 25. Yandall and freshman partner Brooklyn Rubio beat their RHC counterparts 21-7 and 21-11. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

“Good, really good.”

How else can one describe the El Camino beach volleyball team, because coach Le Valley Pattison can only say the team has been just that good.

Only six games remain on the schedule, but with the continued dominance of the No. 5 and 4 pairs for El Camino, things are looking bright and after today’s complete victories including a re-engergized No. 3 pair, the team has a lot to look forward to.

The EC beach volleyball team improved to 10-0, and currently is just one of two teams to remain undefeated, after dominating Ventura College and Rio Hondo College in 5-0 sweeps, respectively, today.

Freshman No. 4 pair player Victoria Curtice said knowing the (No. 1, 2 and 3 pairs) are having a hard enough time as it is, with the more difficult players, it helps the team out not having lost a match yet.

“I think we just took care of our job,” Taylor Brydon, freshman No. 3 pair player, said. “(We were) still salty (about losing on Wednesday). We had a lot more focus going into today.”

Brydon’s partner, sophomore Brooke Russell, reiterated Brydon’s thoughts, but had a massive serving game, and at one point put her pair in a 8-0 set one score, before stomping the opposing players, 21-4 and 21-5, against Rio Hondo.

“(I just focused on) my contact with the ball and making it float,” Russell said. “I thought we started off strong.”

This is the second time that El Camino has played against Rio Hondo, and despite a few injuries to the Roadrunners’ team, the domination was set in stone.

“I think for the most part, they did well,” Russell said.

Brydon jumped in and added that she thought the opposing team was a three on a scale of one to 10, Russell agreed with her partner.

The Warriors will host the Cypress College Chargers for the second time this season, after stomping the visitors in their first match-up. The game is scheduled for Wednesday at 3 p.m.