Beach volleyball team trumps Orange Coast College, 4-1, to stay undefeated

Sophomore Nickeisha Williams attacks the ball in her match against the No. 2 pair from Orange Coast College. Photo credit: Shontel Leake

A little less pressure for the top three pairs makes it easier for the beach volleyball team to continue to win and that’s all it takes for the Warriors, coach Le Valley Pattison said.

With the continued dominance of the sophomore Jewel Yandall (no. 5 pair) freshmen Brooklyn Rubio (No. 5 pair), Jessica Dow (No. 4 pair) and Victoria Curtice (No. 4 pair); the team continues to stay undefeated.

“That’s good,” Pattison said. “(OCC) is an Orange Empire win and it’s good to beat a team from a different conference.”

Even with the No. 3 pair of Brooke Russell and Taylor Brydon losing in full sets, the Warriors pulled out a 4-1 win against the Pirates and improve to 8-0 overall on Wednesday.

Rubio, who was out with an earache in Friday’s matches, returned to being at the side of her trusted partner Yandall, and things were just right as the pair took down OCCs No. 5 pair 21-5 and 21-10.

“Our chemistry is really good right now,” Rubio said. “We finally clicked and we’re talking a lot more. I thought (Jewel) killed it (today), and she did really good at hitting and serving.”

Unfortunately for the OCC squad, the team’s good performance resulted in a thrashing and Yandall felt the opposing players were decent.

“Compared to everybody else,” she said. “On scale of one to 10, (the No. 5 pair) was like a four.”

Curtice, and partner Dow, have yet to lose a match against any opponent apart from the California State Northridge scrimmage, and feels like energy is necessary going forward.

“Communication (is important),” Curtice said. “The hype, the excitement.”

The Warriors’ host Rio Hondo and Ventura colleges on Friday beginning at 10:30 a.m. at the Sand Courts.

“Rio Hondo, again, and that was a pretty good match,” Pattison said. “Ventura is pretty scrappy, so we’ll come in and work hard tomorrow.”