Softball drills Orange Coast in first game of doubleheader

Kattya Calderon (right) looks to steal second after getting to first base against Orange Coast College in the first game of El Camino’s double header on Feb. 9. The Warriors smashed the Pirates 10-1 in five innings. Photo credit: Sue Hong

El Camino came out swinging in a four-run first inning to gain control of the game early and leave the visiting team in the dust.

The Warriors softball team (6-1) earned its fifth-consecutive win in the first game of its doubleheader against the Orange Coast College Pirates (1-3), 10-1, in five innings.

Maleigha Quintero began the scoring barrage with a double to give the Warriors their first run in the first inning. Quintero went 2-2 in the game with two doubles and two RBIs.

“We played very strong game defensively,” Quintero said. “We were also able to hit the ball well.”

Center fielder Raelani Camez had herself an excellent game hitting 4-4 with with two RBIs. Kattya Calderon went 1-2 for the Warriors, while also adding two RBIs.

“We all hit the ball on the ground well,” Camez said. “That’s what we have been working on and we just did what we had to do.”

The Warriors got on base early in this game and finished with 10 hits in 24 at-bats. The Pirates hit the ball five times in 21 at-bats.

“Honestly, I don’t think we executed well on offense,” Warriors coach Jessica Rapoza said, even though the team had 10 hits and 10 points to close out the win against Orange Coast.

Freshman Natalie Francis got the start on the mound and threw three scoreless innings, allowing only two hits.

This win moved Francis to 4-0 on the season as the starting pitcher for the Warriors.

“Our pitching was really good this game,” Rapoza said. “We were able to get ahead in the count and got the first out in most of the innings.