Softball topples undefeated Grossmont in first game of doubleheader

El Camino bats caught fire in the second inning to load the bases and cause panic for the visitors.

A late rally for the Griffins falls short as the Warriors softball team (4-1) continue its dominating start to the season with a 6-4 win over undefeated Grossmont College (4-1).

Freshman Natalie Francis started on the mound for the Warriors and threw a complete game with two strikeouts, while allowing 11 hits, four runs, and just two walks.

“We played great defense and got the first out every inning which benefited us,” Francis said. “After allowing a run in the first we came back by attacking strikes and putting the ball on the ground.”

An error early in the first inning by El Camino helped Grossmont College take a 1-0 lead to start the game.

After being unable to score with the bases loaded in the second inning, the Warriors offense turned on their engines to produce some much needed scoring.

“We might have been a little bit sleepy early on, not taking good aggressive hacks on (the) pitches,” Warriors coach Jessica Rapoza said. “By the third inning we started doing that, and little by little we started to chip away.”

El Camino finished the game with eight hits in 28 at-bats and only one error. Grossmont College finished with 11 hits in 29 at-bats and four errors.

Freshman first baseman Kammy Fisher led the Warriors with three hits in three at-bats and one runner batted in. Taylor Richter and Maleigha Quintero each added two hits and two runners batted in.

“We play really good as a team,” Warriors center fielder Kattya Calderon said. “I think we played good, we didn’t let (their record) get to us.”

The Warriors will be hosting Orange Coast College (1-0) and Santa Barbara City College (2-0) on Feb. 9 for another day of doubleheaders.

“(Grossmont) was undefeated and they’re a really good team,” Rapoza said. ” They are kind of that scary team that can come back when they’re down, so it was a really good win for us.”