Women’s volleyball outside hitters come clutch against Mt. San Antonio College

Victory! El Camino’s women’s volleyball defeated the Mt. San Antonio College Mounties 3-1 in sets (25-15, 25-19, 20-25, 26-24). The Warriors have clinched the No. 1 seed in the South Coast Conference. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

Visiting players, home players, the crowd; no one was quiet in the South Gym on Tuesday and alongside every pass, set and attack the crowd cheered “E-C-C” for the home women’s volleyball team.

The Warriors were down 20-18 in the fourth set when sophomore outside hitter Nickeisha Williams decided to “turn it on,” El Camino coach Le Valley Pattison said.

Williams would fire up the crowd after a kill to cut the lead; and after an overpass from the visiting Mounties, Williams put down a kill/block to tie the match.

After the next serve, Mt. San Antonio College kept the ball in play, but Williams would not let the visitors take anymore points and smashed a kill between three defenders to take a 21-20 lead. Timeout Mt. SAC.

In the battle for first place in South Coast Conference, El Camino’s women’s volleyball (ranked No. 6, 22-2 overall, 12-0 in the SCC) took down the Mt. San Antonio College Mounties (ranked No. 24, 15-5 overall, 10-2 in the SCC) on Tuesday, 3-1 in sets (25-15, 25-19, 20-25, 26-24).

After the outside hitters failed to impress Pattison against Long Beach, both Williams and sophomore Kezia Boyer combined for 36 kills with only nine errors against SAC.

“It’s so awesome when (Williams) plays like that,” freshman setter Nina Wyer (46 assists) said. “It gives us (energy) and makes us all play better.”

Boyer added that Williams is really exciting when puts the ball away.

Sophomore middle blocker Jewel Yandall said she couldn’t describe the match other than that “it was intense,” and clinching first place in the SCC left her at a loss for words.

“I’m basically speechless,” she said. “It’s the happy kind of course, but it really sets the tone for playoffs, (especially since) the pressure was so heavy it was crazy.”

Tonight’s defense was big for both teams as the Warriors put up 78 digs and the Mounties had 66, but sophomore libero Brooke Russell who led all players with 20 digs and is now No. 36 in the state for total digs, with 301, said she didn’t think she performed very well.

“I didn’t feel like I played that well tonight,” she said. “(Everyone) did decent and we a had good fight at the end, especially since (SAC) had to win to (share first with us).”

El Camino will travel to L.A. Harbor on Friday and close out the season against Cerritos at home on Nov. 18 at home in the South Gym at 6 p.m.

UPDATE NOV. 24, 2015: The score for the fourth set was corrected.